Monday 2 September 2013

Long Drive


One last drag to fix my bones,
up through the nostrils of impatience to settle the brain’s panic.
Sedated anxieties put to pause in moonlit roads
while pavement pushes the urge to drive
faster and faster.
Past each posted exit sign—North
to the comforts of familiarity,
to the comfort of your arms.
Alarmed at the sight of my face,
since so long ago farewells were placed
and we were subjected to the years withdrawn
from our romantic enthralls.

This never-ending playlist rings through the speakers
preaching me to stop then singing me to speed.
The bass moves within the pit of my body,
mimicking the bumps in the road
as it collapses at the bridge
and booms with each chorus,
reviving my lazy eyes
to grasp the reflecting white lines ahead,
whom sit parallel against the flowered median
and its "Drive Safely" remembrances.

Another inhalation shakes me back to the present.
Your face escapes me as the memory fades.
I feel alone, abandon, better off.
I was the right distance away
to keep your mediocre attachment,
but as these spinning tires carry me closer
I become farther from your forethought.
There is no easy way
around the confrontation that awaits.
With each passing mile
reality turns its head in our direction
and karma will seek.