Wednesday 7 June 2017

A Fleeting Heart

You told me not to wait; say goodbye.
You told me not to wait but I can't lie.
Every second away I feel I die.
Without me, does the sun out west still shine?
Hold your hands above the fire. Singe,
The flesh around the fingers once that went
Between mine back when we were still
Dreaming, in the days where life was nil.
Keep the promise you once left to her
Before the world presented you a real
Love who wants nothing but your best
And squanders time waiting for the rest.
Keep the promise. You once gave a vow
But knowing all you know and asking how
You lived the lie for years without the pain
And knowing now the passion whence it came.
You told me to move on but I can't budge.
You told me this is temporary love,
But every second passing feels the pain.
A fleeting heart can't fleet from whence it came.