Wednesday 5 September 2012

A Memory From Childhood


I balance cautiously between floor tiles on the tips of my toes
avoiding the pain of broken glass around me.
Razor sharp icebergs float atop the polished white kitchen floor
in unplanned polka-dot patterns.
“Don’t move” a voice yells from beside the refrigerator
but I can’t see them and I don’t try to.
My three foot five inch frame stands frozen
on my tiny left foot in a pirouette turnout,
waiting for a rescue that’s imperative to arrive.

“Maybe just one step” I think to myself.
I’ve never felt the temptation of pain
beyond ripping a Band-Aid, so this is alluring to all my senses.
The sound of its crash from the countertop, shattering the silence
to fill it with the tumbling of diamond sparkled piano scales.
The window light as it echoes against the fogging dust of glass,
covering me in Tinkerbelle glitter.  I stick out my hand
to catch its soft sugar like consistency,
but feel the intrusion of a prickling itch.

Unable to contain myself, I surrender
to my curiosity and begin to take a step.  Slowly,
I inch my right foot down until it’s parallel with the floor
and I begin to shift what little weight I have.  Quick spikes of pain
from my toes to my heel, from my heel up my leg
until I begin to feel the creeping chill of pain on the back of my neck.
I look down to see the clean white floor compromised
as dark red rivers flow outward from beneath my foot.
I take another step to bring my feet together and better my balance.
My fascination of this pain leaves my lips in a paralyzing silence
as my nervous system twitches in a panicking overload.

My rush of adrenaline begins to decease
as the corners of my eyes glisten in tears.
A feeling of deceit shakes through my core
as I stare angrily at my pretty sugar cubed glittering glass.
My bottom lip begins to quiver as small pouts emerge.
“Mom!” I cry, “Mommy!”
A fresh faced woman darts around the corner and gasps
as her vision makes its way from my reddened eyes to my blood puddled feet.
“Oh, sweetie,” she empathizes and rushes towards
with her Birkenstock armored feet. In one fell swoop
she scoops me into her arms and erases my pain.
I bury my head into her shoulder
as she strokes my long brown hair, rocking me back and forth.
Her soft humming distracts my agony as my whimpers dwindle.
I pray for the warm comfort between these skinny pair of arms to
never let me go.
She is my protector, my consoler, my adorner,
she is mine and I am hers,
always.