Monday 24 September 2012

The Sound of Memory


I pick up my phone and press talk,
an all too familiar action.
My voice is pleasant to receive a friend
from the other line, but it’s you.
“Hi,” you reply.
That voice, I’ve heard it before.
I’ve heard it soothe, swoon and boom.
Unfamiliarity in its recent age
tells from a difference in its tone,
but I can still draw each expression line
as I hear you form the words with your lips.
Countries that separate matter not,
as the distance in my memory brings you closer,
pulling your face to the foreground of my mind—
a happy one if I can find it.
The years that brought us here
have led me to erase every inch of our timeline
calling them “the lost years”.
Choosing not to speak of them,
as if the record books of my mind ripped each page
from their leather bindings and burned them all to ash.
Each last one, lost in the fire.

I find one.  It’s short and quick,
a complete contradiction of our love story’s demise.
It was an afternoon drive, with our destination being unnecessary.
An absence of aggression in your steering
led you to slow at a yellow light.  You turned to me,
as I sat cross-legged in your passenger seat
swallowing air through the open window.
Your blue eyes pierced the thin exterior of my polished shell.
You knew me all too well.  Happiness flushed over your face
and you gave a half smile; like a deep breath
slowing letting out a sigh from one corner of your lips.
I didn’t have to feel your hand to know it had clasped mine.
Finger locked together like the gaze between our eyes.
We held a serene silence for just a moment
before the harassing horns of eager cars awoke us and it was over.
The steering wheel stole back your hands and the road had your eyes.